Found a good job posting and you know that this job is perfect for you? The hiring manager is on the lookout for the perfect person for this job too.
This is your chance. Don’t mess it up.
If you want to make sure that your resume will not land in a discard pile, this infographic below explains how to tailor your resume to the job posting and what the hiring manager needs from you in your application.
A well-tailored job application is the first step to getting invited to a job interview and landing your dream job.
5 things you should do to match your resume to the job you want
So here are five things you need to do to tailor your resume to the job you are applying for today.
- Read the job advertisement carefully from top to bottom and pay attention to how they talk about the job from the responsibilities to the qualifications.
- Highlight all words and phrases indicative of what the recruiter requires and think of your skills that would cover and exceed those expectations.
- Brainstorm. Write it all down on a piece of paper or on your computer. You’ll end up with a list of required skills and experience that will fit your potential employer’s requirements.
- Write up your resume using words and phrases from the job posting itself. But don’t go out on a copy-pasting mode. The end reader is a human, so make your resume readable.
- Make sure Applicant Tracking System (ATS) software is on your side. Sprinkle in the most important keywords throughout your resume to make sure your keywords closely match the keywords in the job posting.
The process of how to tailor a resume to a job description
Are you still not sure what tailoring your resume looks like? Check this infographic by zety.com to see the entire process laid out in a few quick steps so you learn how to tailor a resume to a job description.
This infographic was created by zety.com.