With millions of websites on the Internet and a bounty of tools to help you build one, building a website has never been more accessible. However, launching a successful website with no hiccups is a lot more difficult.
To help you launch your first, second, or event third website without any errors, we created a website launch checklist that covers 30 essentials tasks to complete pre-launch and post-launch.
What to do before launching your website
Ideally, before you launch your website should live on a staging site. This allows you to easily edit and make any necessary changes. Below are a few tasks to complete before you push your website live.
- Make sure your secure socket layer (SSL) certificate is in place and enable HTTPS traffic
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of your content management system (CMS)
- Set up a backup solution in case something goes wrong
- Integrate an analytics solution to track performance
- Make sure you have all of your core pages in place
- Set up custom 404 pages
- Check to make sure your site’s navigation is user friendly and free of broken links
- Ensure your content is great for search engine optimization (SEO) and doesn’t have any mistakes
- Make sure all your content includes metadata
- Apply schema markup where applicable
- Make sure your pages and content include relevant call to actions (CTAs)
- Make sure your website follows accessibility guidelines
- Double-check that your website is mobile-friendly
- Ensure your site design aligns with your brand
- Test your website using different browsers
- Check your application programming interface (XML) sitemap
- Create a robots.txt file
- Configure a permalink structure for your website
- Check for any technical SEO errors
- Ensure all your uniform resource locators (URLs) are correct
- Is your website legally compliant? Double-check that it is.
- Create social media profiles to promote your website
What to do after launching your website
Congrats, you’ve officially launched your website! However, your work isn’t quite over yet. Below are some essential steps to take to ensure your launch goes smoothly.
- Make sure your website is secure
- Test your site user experience (UX) and make sure everything is working properly
- Double-check that your analytics is working properly
- Submit your XML sitemap and request indexing
- Check for technical SEO errors by crawling your site
- Double-check that your conversion path is working properly
- Verify that your backups are in place
- Promote your new website